A sea turtle which swallowed almost 1,000 coins thrown by tourists in Thailand seeking good luck has died two weeks after having surgery to remove them from its stomach.
The cause of death was blood poisoning from the loose change, doctors at the veterinary faculty at Bangkok's Chulalongkorn University confirmed.
Thai media began publicising the turtle's tale last month and the public donated about 15,000 baht (£350) towards her surgery. Some had corroded or partially dissolved.
"We have tried our best but we couldn't save her, " said Nantarika Chansue, one of the veterinarians operating on Omsin. The mass of coins was too big to take out through a 10cm incision, so they had to be removed a few coins at a time.
Chansue said when she discovered the cause of the turtle's agony she was furious.
The green sea turtle, named Omsin, or "piggy bank" in Thai, had been finding it hard to swim normally after swallowing five kilograms of coins thrown into her pool for good luck. Eventually, the money formed a weight that cracked Bank's shell.
In a Facebook posting Dr Chansue revealed that Bank had not woken up since the operation and was in a "very serious" condition, and on Tuesday morning she died.
Vets hope that media coverage of the stricken creature will make Thais think twice about throwing coins into ponds where animals live.