St. Louis, MO (KTRS) A Los Angeles company is recalling tea made from deer antlers after two people who drank it got sick.
State health officials said Monday that the tea may be contaminated with botulism, and they are investigating the two Orange County residents who became ill.
The product was sold to acupuncturists and individuals in California, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, North Carolina, Texas and Virginia.
Illinois. The tea is sold in 6-inch by 4-inch plastic packaging with Korean language text and drawings of deer on it.
"Initial symptoms frequently include double or blurred vision, drooping eyelids, and dry or sore throat".
Be Civil - It's OK to have a difference in opinion but there's no need to be a jerk.
Previously, the Los Angeles-based company voluntarily recalled all of its herbal tea products that come in plastic pouches.
"The aforementioned Herbal Teas, especially those with low-acidity held at room temperature, were not produced according to approved guideline, making them susceptible to contamination by Clostridium botulinum", according to the recall notice. It may also progress to muscle weakness starting from the upper body and moving downward. Those going through the said symptoms and have recently consumed the herbal teas are advised to seek urgent medical attention. People should wear rubber or latex gloves, if possible, when handling potentially contaminated products or wash their hands with soap and running water for at least two minutes after touching potentially contaminated foods or beverages.
Customers who purchased may return their unconsumed product to the original place of purchase, and may report unlawful sale of the affected goods to the CDPH at (800) 495-3232 or www.cdph.ca.gov.
Caused by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum, botulism toxin is odorless and colorless, making it undetectable in foods and beverages. For more information about how to contact your local health department, visit the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services' state agencies page.